Saturday 14 May 2011

Unit: BA3: Project 3: Representation and Space

Initial/Opening Presentation to the Project

My response to the task, simply, is money. Money and finance have always been the driving force behind progress, throughout the history of art and whilst there has always been this romantic view of progress for progress’ sake, art has ever strived and continued to develop to meet the demands of its audience and targeted market and this is especially true with the games industry.

A lot of people would argue that recent innovation has been in light of realism, realistic characters and realistic environments, when in fact quite the opposite has been true, in most cases. The Wii, for example, whilst a console that doesn’t appeal to me personally, is undoubtedly the gaming industry’s most successful export; where, in recent years, graphics are not a priority but innovative gameplay, attracting the most lucrative of today’s audiences which are simply those seeking easy accessibility. The Wii is also attracting one of the industry’s most ‘untapped’ markets, which is women; within an otherwise male dominated industry (our chosen examples of female characters evidence this.)

I mentioned realism previously. I asked a lot of people who do not play games, as to why this is and the majority replied that whilst they could appreciate the technical innovation within visually realistic games, that they were often ‘put off’ by the complexity or perhaps the lack of accessibility inherent with a lot of these games. It’s in fact very interesting that the more realistic game characters and environments come to emulating real-life, that the more mundane and ‘limiting’ they can become, especially when attempting to depict contemporary culture (this was an issue I had with Grand Theft Auto IV for example.) This idea follows suit with the theory of the ‘Uncanny Valley’ and whilst I am a fan of realism within games (and indeed I am) I cannot help but notice the effects of this myself.

In terms of the progression witnessed within the examples that we [the group] chose to use, the influx of money and subsequent interest has simply meant that the games industry has become a bigger business, providing the artists and designers with tools, that, if available back then, would have readily been in use; and as the audiences have matured, in most cases, so to have the themes depicted within them.

Primary Research

The information displayed below remains entirely un-edited and reflects only the answers given, exactly in the way that they were delivered (including all grammatical and spelling errors) with the exception of information that was removed due to its irrelevance to the answer (such as message correspondance between the interviewee and myself.) Note that the latter does not apply to the initial email to Ms. Harvey.

Email to Auriea Harvey of ‘Tale of Tales’

Thank you Auriea, this is extremely helpful. I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to the questions, especially in the way that you did and in your honesty. Again I'm very grateful, it was really insightful. Thanks a lot.

Yours Sincerely,
Jay Carpenter.

> Subject: Re: University Student - Quick Question
> From: auriea@tale-of-tales.com
> Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 15:53:01 +0200
> To: jay_carpenter@hotmail.co.uk
>
> Dear Jay,
>
> I have done my best to provide answers to your questions below.
>
> On 2011/05/03, at 10:06, Jay Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Dear Mrs Harvey,
> >
> > I’m very sorry to bother you (I understand that you’re a busy person) though I just wanted to say I'm very impressed with your work to date and find it extremely refreshing in its innovation, so thank you. I’m writing mainly because I have a few very quick questions concerning research I'm collecting for a paper I'm writing. I'm a student currently studying at University and I'm in the process of writing a paper on how women are represented in both video games and within the industry; the questions that I have written below represent some of the focal points in my writing and you can choose to answer any or all of the questions that you feel comfortable with, to any degree that you like. I'm very appreciative for you having taken the time to read this.
> >
> > I'm interested to know your opinion on:
> >
> > The degree to which you consider both genders (particularly the female audience) when developing new projects
>
> I wouldn't say I consider the female audience at all, as such. But being a woman I make what I make. I try to consider that many people I do not know are going to interact with these characters and in these worlds. Whatever vision I have for the game is shone through the prism of my own experience. It is not a science.
>
> > and perhaps the possible challenges (if any) when attempting to represent this in-game?
>
> The challenge is always to balance the desired narrative communication with the players expectation, how those expectations are fulfilled or thwarted by what we make. Also by who the characters are... asking a boy who plays the game to be an old woman, asking a middle aged woman to be the ghost of a dead man etc. I ask: If they go along with my game, what do I want them to take away from that experience. What story might they have in their mind? What stays with them as a memory?
>
> >
> > How you feel women are represented within the industry
> Are women represented within the industry?
>
> > and, being a woman yourself working within the industry,
> I do not consider myself to be working within the industry.
>
> > the importance of women as role-models in helping to encourage women to both participate within playing and possibly developing/producing games themselves?
> I find it far more urgent to get people from outside the industry to develop this medium. The geeks have almost ruined it. There isn't enough variation in games. It could help if women felt more welcome in the industry, to make these things. But videogames are still (unnecessarily) presented as ugly 8-bit things played by children or penis-powered war fantasies. And, most often, women just aren't into that shit.
>
> Video games haven't been only 8-bit or shooters for years. But only by some miracle will the industry allow itself to be viewed in a different light. Then maybe, maybe, people who can expand the medium might show up to play. Role models can only come after the reputation of the games medium is rescued.
>
> >
> > Finally:
> >
> > Since your initial involvement within the industry, have you noticed any changes in perhaps the way other games represent women in-game,
> not at all.
>
> > and whether games have been successful in encouraging women to play them,
> no.
>
> > if not, why do you think this is? (Noting reasons, perhaps along the lines of under-representation, in-equality/sexism in the way that the characters/in-game avatars are developed or marketed etc.)
> To many young boys with nothing to say using an artistic medium with no talent.
>
> >
> > Again, I’m very grateful for you having taken the time to read this; your opinion on this subject would prove invaluable towards my research, thank you.
>
> i hope so Jay.
>
> thank you for asking,
> Auriea.

Responses from my Female Peers


Niqi Chasseaud

• The degree to which you consider both genders (particularly the female audience) when developing your own work and perhaps the possible challenges (if any) when attempting to represent this in-game?

In my own work I do try to keep a feminine and masculine balance so that it isn't one sided and unfair on either genders. I'm aware that games have predominantly been masculine and aimed at males more than females, however this has not deterred us from playing them. I think has a lot to do with one's personality and outside influences, as well as the content of the game which makes it appealing to both genders. In essence, games are about having fun, right? And there's no boundary for that.

• How you feel women are represented within the industry and, being a woman yourself looking to work within that industry, the importance of women as role-models in helping to encourage women to both participate within playing and possibly developing/producing games themselves?

I think they're represented rather well and almost as something "new" and "fresh". When I went to a university fair last year before deciding to come to Norwich I went around the numerous university stands offering a Games Art/Design course and immediately I was told by the person I was talking to that I'd do well "because I'm a girl". I'm not sure why, but I found it interesting that I was immediately judged by my gender. Perhaps female roles in the industry are strengthening, and I think that's a good thing as long as they don't become too over confident. I'm going to be honest.. In certain situations, a woman may not be the best authoritative figure to guide a game development team. Though saying that, our course leader Marie-Claire is quite inspiring and encouraging and a good role model (not just saying that :P).

• The types of games that you yourself play and what you personally look for/ would like to see within these games (citing any of the titles to the games that you do like playing.)

Again, personality, preference and outside influences make this aspect different for everyone. And also like I said before, simply being "fun" makes a great game. I like many genres, but one thing that is important to me is that there is an excellent and consistent storyline and characters which are easily associated with or likable. I also find it good when there is a blend of reality with fantasy elements, which makes it easy to identify with but also enjoyable to escape to. Music adds so much to a game, also. I think the best aspect of games in my opinion is the nostalgia from playing a game again after having not played it in a long time. It genuinely makes me happy, as sad as that is haha.
I think the list of games/series I like is pretty cliche, but I'll give you a few in a random order: Tekken, Nanosaur, Shenmue, Pokemon, Super Mario Bros., Spyro the Dragon, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, The Legend of Zelda, Crash Bandicoot, Okami, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, Beyond Good and Evil, Dead or Alive, Burnout, Genji: Days of the Blade, Gran Turismo, BlazBlue, Eternal Sonata, etc etc.. I've probably missed so many it's difficult to think.

How you feel women are represented within video games and whether you yourself are satisfied with this form of representation and if not, what you would like to see changed (perhaps citing any titles to the games you feel do represent women fairly, or those you believe to miss or under-represent.)

It's 50/50. Some of them are portrayed as helpless "maidens" being kidnapped or just showing inferior qualities and unable to fend for themselves, or aren't given a substantial role and are usually annoying and whiny. While others are shown as independent and strong willed and acutely trained in multiple forms of self defence with fiery personalities . They're both actually the extreme opposites of each other, and the "average" real-life woman usually lies somewhere between those two roles. For a fabricated environment I think games can get away with this, but only just. The former usually adds comic relief, and the latter may inspire some women to set higher goals and attempt to achieve the impossible. An example perhaps could be Princess Peach contrasted with Lara Croft.

• Have you noticed any changes in perhaps the way games represent women and whether games have been successful in encouraging women to play them, if not, why do you think this is (noting reasons, perhaps along the lines of under-representation, in-equality/sexism in the way that the characters/in-game avatars are developed or marketed etc.)

I haven't really noticed any changes myself, but I haven't been able to play many current games recently. But from what I'm aware of, women are being given strong roles with complex personalities, like Lightning from FFXIII. Maybe character design and environment design interests women to play games and explore the stories, but it depends on the game and genre. Some may just lead busy lives and can't seem to find the time to play games, or they may be put off by the extreme sex-appeal some female games characters are given by their designers, specifically to target men. But then there is another point about the individual's orientation/preference. I'm not sure what I could say about this to help for your research. The industry seem to be dealing with both genders well.

Kerrie Shreeve

1) When I made our app game for our first assignment I didn’t really consider genders as such. I just made a game that I would enjoy and that I thought other people as a whole would enjoy. I tried to follow the trend of games already available on itunes. I didn’t think ‘ because im a girl im going to make a game for girls’.

2) I don’t think theres a lot of women in the industry. I think it would be good if more women were in the industry, but at the same time I don’t think women MUST be there. If they want to, then they should be treated as equals to men, and taken seriously. I don’t think we really need role models as such: I got into gaming through my brother and peers, and then developed my own personal taste of games I like.

3) Im a fan of driving games (forza, dirt, GTA, GT5) im not an avid gamer if im honest, I play in moderation and when I feel like it. I also like the old school games)spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of Persia, sonic and tails). I also like games with good storylines that are easy to follow ( like prince of Persia, sands of time) because then you realise why you had to do all the things you had to do to in the game (I like reading so maybe that’s why I like having stories to games?).

4) I think women are quite sexualised in games. I sometimes find it quite off putting ( like in dragon age, one of the women is dressed in what I would call ‘revealing’ clothes, and it’s a bit distracting and unnecessary. But at the same time I’m a bit indifferent to it as I appreciate good artwork, and it’s a fantasy world so things are going to be better than real life. It would be nice to see women characters who aren’t sexualised, but its not something im insistent on, I don’t mind games as they are.

5) I think games are aimed better to include women now. I’m not a ‘girly girl’ so I don’t really play games aimed specifically for girls, so I cant really comment, I think its just attitudes are changing and its now easier for girls to be accepted into the gaming community and its not so much of a ‘guy thing’. We like to play too .

Ilze Cakste

How you feel women are represented within the industry and, being a woman yourself looking to work within that industry, the importance of women as role-models in helping to encourage women to both participate within playing and possibly developing/producing games themselves?

Im happy to see that more and more females are starting to get interested into male-dominated gaming field and even considering to working in games industry. I think that womens can help the video game industry to grow and explore new ways how to reach new audiences. However, being a female who is interested in video games industry, sometimes I have to deal with people who still think that video games are not meant for womans and they don’t understand why I have chosen exactly this path of carrer. But on other hand, It’s good to see that the society is starting to change and actually most of the people now accept females as a part of the gamer society and industry.

I’m always happy to see new names of succesful females in games industry. I think that one of the best role-models for womens who are considering to work in games industry is Jayde Raymond, a well-know game producer who came up with the idea of one of the „hottest” videogames „Assasins creed”. It’s good to see someone who is so succesful in this industry. She’s defeneatly one of my role-models.


The types of games that you yourself play and what you personally look for/ would like to see within these games (citing any of the titles to the games that you do like playing.)

For me, One of the most important things that I’m looking for in video games are the exciting storyline, interesting characters and original/beautiful game worlds that can capture my attention. I have always been a big fan of „Mass Effect” series, original „Prince of Persia” trilogy, „Silent Hil”,„Resident Evil”. However there are many other titles that are listed between my favourite games. Actually I think that my taste in videogames is very similar to regular male player’s taste.


How you feel women are represented within video games and whether you yourself are satisfied with this form of representation and if not, what you would like to see changed (perhaps citing any titles to the games you feel do represent women fairly, or those you believe to miss or under-represent.)

Note: I’m not sure if i grasped the right idea of the question, but still, here is the answer:

I think that Video game industry works very similar to film industry – sometimes women’s in these forms of media are represented quite „poorly” and „cliché”. Half-naked and impossibly proportioned girls with minimal dialogue appear very often in videogames. Everyone knows that sex sells well, but I don’t find that kind of characters (such as Rachel fro Ninja Gaiden and The Girls of Dead or Alive) original, interesting and appealing. However there are plenty of other games where woman are represented very well, such as: Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2 and even Lara Croft from Tomb Raider series.

Have you noticed any changes in perhaps the way games represent women and whether games have been successful in encouraging women to play them, if not, why do you think this is (noting reasons, perhaps along the lines of under-representation, in-equality/sexism in the way that the characters/in-game avatars are developed or marketed etc.)

I think that games slowly start to encourage more womans to play games, however I think that more womans working in game industry are needed to create even more female-friendly games. Womans know what kind of videogames they would like to play so they could do a great job by working in games industry and represent teir ideas for games that are more friendly for female gamers. Step by step games are becoming something more than just a „killing” and „shooting”, they are not so „cliché” as they used to be. There is a huge variety of videogames and I think that for example, video game console called “wii” and gadgets such as “xbox360 kinect” and “PlayStation Move” are making a great impact on video game industry by opening a new ways for different game play experiences. I think that game industry is slowly getting there and I hope that soon video game environment will be completely friendly for every woman’s taste in videogames.

Frances Young

• How you feel women are represented within the industry and, being a woman yourself looking to work within that industry, the importance of women as role-models in helping to encourage women to both participate within playing and possibly developing/producing games themselves?

answer: i feel that women in the industry have minor jobs and arent typyically working with the higher mangement positions in companys.and i think women should be more involved in the producing and developing of games to help the increase of women working in the industry.

• The types of games that you yourself play and what you personally look for/ would like to see within these games (citing any of the titles to the games that you do like playing.)

answer: some of my favertes are halo,castlevania,gears of war but i tend to play alot of role playing games such as world of warcraft,pokemon,guild wars and the fable series because i like the freedom and choice within them, the only negative i can fault in them is the way that some men playing them seem to think they can talk to girls in a abusive way e.g. "hey sexy" or sumthin because they can get away with it in the virtual world.


• How you feel women are represented within video games and whether you yourself are satisfied with this form of representation and if not, what you would like to see changed (perhaps citing any titles to the games you feel do represent women fairly, or those you believe to miss or under-represent.)

answer: women are obviously represented sexually in almost all games with very little clothing or tight clothing or a huge bust i.e. tomb raider,bayonetta. and i dont like how it sets a unrealistic image of women but on a positive note the women tend to have main roles in games or are very strong independent characters but maybe for the wrong reasons as its based on image then personality.

Finally:

• Have you noticed any changes in perhaps the way games represent women and whether games have been successful in encouraging women to play them, if not, why do you think this is (noting reasons, perhaps along the lines of under-representation, in-equality/sexism in the way that the characters/in-game avatars are developed or marketed etc.)

answer: games always represent women steroetypically either as strong sexual objects or as side characters.
i feel within the games industry that cute games aim to appeal to women more then action orintated games even though sometimes the main character can be female i.e.tomb raider.

Joyce Brabban

1. I do think of what both genders would like as I don't want to initially create a game for just one gender. However I also just draw what I like and so it would then most likely turn out to be more a femanine concept.
2. Women in the industry are fewer but growing to more numbers as games have become larger. As a woman I look up to other women game designers when they have made it without signifiying that they are a woman in a generally male industry.
3. I play a lot of role playing games an adventure type for example dragon age and final fantasy which a lot of other female gamers play. I don't have much intrest in first person shooter simply because I can't be bothers to improove on my aiming skills however I do enjoy trying them out every so often.
4. I think most women characters are represented quite pretty and sexy. Though I don't mins this because i know that it works as most gamers prefer this and so these games sell well. I don't really know what can be changed because it's what ever sells well, therefor the majority of opinion is from the gamers themselves which happen to be a majority of males. So if this sexy representation works then it has to be kept.
5, a lot of simple ds games have encourage more woman to play games. Women being represented in games as a lead role may also gae encourage woman to play as they may prefer to play as a woman than another butch male lead.

Bibliography:
  • Harvey, Auriea. (2011) [Interview by email 6 May 2011].
  • Chasseaud, Niqi. (2011) [Interview by email 4 May 2011].
  • Shreeve, Kerrie. (2011) [Interview by email 4 May 2011].
  • Cakste, Ilze. (2011) [Interview by email 5 May 2011].
  • Young, Francis. (2011) [Interview by email 5 May 2011].
  • Brabban, Joyce. (2011) [Interview by email 4 May 2011].

No comments:

Post a Comment